Thursday, November 10, 2011

10. Google Apps

November 10, 2011 - Google Apps
Google Apps are used for communication, collaboration, and to help build a 21st century environment within the classroom.


Assignments:
1. Create a Google account. (If you have already created a Blogspot account, then you already have a Google account.)
2. Explore the many apps available with your Google account.
3. Create your own Google doc, Google calendar, and one other Google app of your choice.
4. Comment on this post. Include ways you could use Google Apps with your students, something you learned in class, or thoughts about a Google App you tried.

2 comments:

  1. I was glad the class covered google docs last Thursday. It was a topic I've used but have never truly seen all the applications it can be used for. The really exciting part, however, was exploring all the other applications listed under "other." I looked at two: locating blogs and google voice. I signed up for google voice to take my voice messages (I always seem to get them days later over AT&T). Unfortunately, I signed up to have texts delivered via texting. I'm charge for each text. The first message used up three texts and the translation from voice was really bad. So I disconnected that part as quickly as possible. I'm still monitoring the rest. As for blog searching, I did find that very useful and located blogs on online teaching (an area I'm very interested in). It should make it easier for me to maintain my own blog (also created during a past class).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The calendar has some interesting possibilities for department collaboration and scheduling peer coaching. I could see where it could be handy for scheduling equipment or sets of novels.

    The Google translate was particularly helpful to me, as we have diverse home languages among our student population. Not every language is available, but the Spanish translation is particularly helpful for parent contacts. I can see where this would be helpful for directions on assignments for the ELL kids.

    ReplyDelete