Thursday, November 17, 2011

11. Podcasting and iTunes

November 17, 2011 - Podcasting and iTunes
A podcast is a series of digital media files (either audio or video) that are released episodically and downloaded through web syndication. Podcasting provide an engaging learning environment for students. It provides activities for researching, organizing, editing, recording, and a medium to express their creativity.  Podcasting - Podcasting is used across the curriculum giving all students the opportunity to showcase their finished product. 

iTunes is a digital media player used for playing and organizing digital music and video files.  iTunes U is an innovative way to get educational material in the hands of students.

Assignments:
1. Explore the many podcasts available in iTunes and iTunesU.
2. Create a podcast using GarageBand.
3. Comment on this post. Include ways you could use podcasting with your students, something you learned in class, or thoughts about a podcast you viewed.

3 comments:

  1. Today was a review for me. We'd started working with Podcasts in the other class as we were working with Garage Band. Going over both subjects today was very useful. I also liked discovering iTunes University and hope to pursue that. I wish I had the time to work with my students on this. I have so much district directed curriculum that it's very hard to work in creative activities. But I can see that podcasts are fairly short and easy to create, so I hope to check our computers at work and see if they have the garage band software (or something similar) that might allow me to utilize this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to have learned Garage Band and Podcasts. I can think of several different topics in Social Studies and Science that students could use this technology to express what they have learned. What a great opportunity to get students engaged in the curriculum through technology. I can't wait to use this in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great class. I can see podcasts as a way for my speech kids to practice some of their new skills. The problem may be the short time intervals that students attend my class- maybe I can team up with another teacher...I think I will try a poem and have them add pictures (like we did in the class last year)- them branch out to the story boards.
    Cindy O-Baird

    ReplyDelete